English 1A – 7pm section (3098)

7-7:10pm:  How are you?  Tell us about/narrate your day…

7:10-7:25pm:  Review of last class… What we’re doing this semester.

7:25-7:35pm:  Questions about the syllabus.

7:35-7:45pm:  Freewritng.  Not just how you begin an essay, or a reaction, or anything.  Yes, you should always edit and organize your composition later, but there should always be a sense of FREEDOM, and a freeing feel to your writing.  Writing is often taught from the riles of and calls for more structure, rather than expression.  Even a critical essay, or “analytical” one, should be expressive.  Expression should ALWAYS be free on the page.  Thoughts?  What has your experience been?

7:45-8pm:  What’s an essay supposed to do, anyway?

8-8:15pm:  When you hear “Composition”, what is the first thing you think?

8:15-8:35pm:  Composition is a piece of writing, a submission that is composed, together, self-supported.  A stand-alone piece, if you will.  It should also be noted, that composition entails several parts, and a consistency of Art, expression, uniqueness and music..

Post your own definition of “Composition”, below

8:35-8:40pm:  What is your style of Composition?  Does it involve any Humor?  Search for Happiness?  Or, a strengthening of existing Happiness?

8:40-9pm:  Close….  What’s on tonight’s page?  What are you going to write in your journal?

Assignment:  Write in your journal, OBSESSIVELY.  And, more importantly, FREELY.

And…..  please buy David Sedars’ book if you haven’t already.

1. garinmccormick says:

In being that composition is such a broad and versatile idea, there are thousands of people who composition I admire.

2. aalexvillanueva94 says:

I think my style of composition is all about being real, and by that I mean being brutally honest but not in a rude way. I do try to add humor because I like to think that i’m a funny guy and I like to make light of situations. I keep a very small circle of friends, and that’s not just because I choose the people I keep around me wisely, but I feel that some people just cant handle honesty. If I had to choose someones style of composition that I admire it would be the movie director Martin Scorsese, the way he can tell a story through film and make you feel like you personally know the character blows my mind. I’ve seen most of his movies and I’ve enjoyed every single one of them

1. aalexvillanueva94 says:

in other words i like to speak my mind, i may not always be right but when i speak to people i can get another perspective

3. LuisV123 says:

My style of composition is free thinking and facts to back my opinions.

4. Michael Pearson says:

I always new that Liked to read books that are told in a style where it feels like the author is in the pages at the time. What I didn’t expect was with Tuesdays assignment I enjoyed writing in that way.

5. jihmai says:

My definition of composition would be gathering information and putting into a clear format so the reader understands what there trying to say with emotion and creativity.

6. haleywalsh24 says:

Tonights page will be about how I am at a turning point in life. I know that I have to keep pushing, because my hardwork will bring a positive outcome. I have a good story to share that might help others. My email is haleywalsh2001@gmail.com if anyone wants to reach out!

Liked by 3 people

Thank you for offering, Ms Haley!! That’s very sweet to offer to colleagues.. enjoy your night!! 🙂

7. kaylinromo says:

For my own style, I’m definitely on the more emotional side. I want it to informative and relatable. I like when I read something that the writer was able to explain that I had no idea there was an explanation for. It’s like “Oh my god, yes I know what you’re describing, I’ve felt that.” Its a feeling of not being alone and understood, so I try to incorporate that in my style too.

Emotion is human, and that’s what humans like to read.

Alright 7pm, crew… let’s close the shop. What do you have on tonight’s page/in your notes???

9. Gabriel Serrano says:

what do you mean by “what’s on tonight page?”

WHAT’S IN YOUR NOTES??????

10. Tonight in my journal I will be writing about how my life was younger and how it help me choose my dream career to become a nurse.

Liked by 2 people

11. haleywalsh24 says:

My notes are about composition and new definitions I have. Also about freewriting and different concepts of essays. Everyone gave me a lot of perspectives. Thank you!

Liked by 2 people

Thank YOU!!! Have a meditative, collecting, and FREEING night. Bonne nuit…

2. garinmccormick says:

yeah a lot of cool ways to look at it. That’s probably my biggest take away from my notes.

One note on my page for the night, “…a feeling of not being alone and understood…” Shoutout to my sister Kaylin Romo. RESPECT.

Liked by 2 people

13. claudia alvarez says:

Something I will be writing in my journal will include how to have a positive mindset through all of this, such as ways that will help me cope with stress. My future is always on my mind and when I express those thoughts on paper I feel calm, I am going set a plan for myself but still live in the present and go with the flow.

Liked by 3 people

14. aalexvillanueva94 says:

for tonight’s page I’m just going to express what has been on my mind lately. the things that have been bringing me down lately and though I’ve been trying to look at them positive, I’m starting to realize that its time for a change.

15. renvs says:

I don’t what I am going to write, but I suppose that is the fun part of having a journal. Maybe I’ll try my hand on some poetry or even just jot down what I am feeling. I guess tonight’s page is a mystery for now, but I am looking forward to getting down to it! This weekend will sure be a nice one.

Cheers. Write well.

16. In my notes I have to be able to write freely you have to let your mind be free. Let all your thoughts and emotions out to be able to give insight on what and how you truly feel and want your reader to feel as well and do so in a way you are able to bring it all together for the purpose of having whoever is reading to feel what you feel.

17. “don’t let yesterday take up to much of today”- Will Rogers

Liked by 3 people

18. kaylinromo says:

I don’t know what my notes will be about quite yet! I’ll let my mind decide once I pick up the journal and pen. I’m sure its something that’ll get me thinking though.

Go enjoy your night, y’all…. I’ll communicate some thoughts tomorrow. Thank you, ALL, for a great class. #professormikey, OUT.

20. Notes basically consist of everyones point of view, that are different from mine, new ways to see things you know.

Liked by 2 people

21. Good Night everyone! stay safe and be well!

Liked by 4 people

1. renvs says:

You as well!

Liked by 2 people

22. Michael Pearson says:

My main note is to just keep writing no matter what. Also here is my email otr_monkey@outlook.com

23. kaylinromo says:

Tonights discussions were fun! Hope everyone has a great night!

Liked by 2 people

24. LuisV123 says:

I can’t wait for tomorrows class! Today was a nice experience.

25. renvs says:

Have a good night Everyone! Looking forward to the next class!

Me too! Have a great night and weekend!

26. claudia alvarez says:

Have a good one guys, stay safe!

27. ronald zaldivar says:

My day starts at 5:45 am to go to work and my work day ends at 6 pm. right after work i have a 30 min period where i eat and set up for class. As soon as class is over i get ready for bed so i can repeat the process the next day.

I admire your drive!!!