ENGLISH 1A – 5PM

5-5:10pm:  Check in, narrate your day….

5:10-5:30pm: Samantha Irby, comedy….

Real.  Aggressive.  Different than Sedaris…. Do a quick search on her… what do you find?  What do you notice?

5:30-5:50pm:  What have you been writing for YOU?  What are some of the observations you have been recording in your journal?  Tell your colleagues about what you submitted to me.  Feel free to post some parts of it below!!

5-50-6pm:  What’s on tonight’s page?

ASSIGNMENT:  Turn in Sedaris essay by next class….  Let me know if you want to do a zoom or FaceTime, or just regular call, office hour.

Buy Irby’s book!!!!!!  Please read the first 4 essays…..

1. finn ransome says:

I also love how she says that she thinks she was made for quarantine. I honestly feel the same about this isolation.

2. how I start my writing is similar to a diary. I dont write for an audience I hope that one day I will come back to this chapter in my life to see how I grew

Good to write without thinking about audience, at least at first….

3. Abie Prieto says:

I feel like I write the same things, just motivation for me to get better and be successful. I write to myself what i want to do. I write what i’m going to be and great i’m going to be because if i’m not telling myself that who would.

4. Evelyn Molina says:

As far as my observation i have been writing within my journal, are that I try not to overthink the situations I am in . And I just wait to make a change and respond differently to any situation

5. Dominic Costantino says:

The thing that keeps me in my chair to write is the feeling that I get from a certain piece. If I stop feeling the energy, I almost always stop and do something else. I wrote about in my last page my dog dying in a nightmare I had. I couldn’t understand why, but my mom kept insisting that he was dying and we couldn’t do anything to help it. I screamed and pleaded with her and she just kept saying no. After that, I realized that I was dreaming. My mom is a big animal person and would rather die than have one of her babies die. It was a weird feeling to be self-aware in the dream, but the feeling of helplessness for my dog kept me in the dream until I sprung up to find my dog passed out next to me. Dreams are where all of my imagination comes from, and I wish I could turn it off sometimes.

Liked by 2 people

This is great Dominic, thanks for sharing. Build on these thoughts and emotional architecture!

6. niannavalle says:

Sometimes my family can be overly busy so I write down what I wanted to say instead. It helps me get practice in really articulating what I have to say

Liked by 2 people

Have any samples to post?

If you have kids, or are around kids, write down everything they say…

1. jakesilva753 says:

How about what childish adults say ahaha

Liked by 2 people

9. Daniel Bagley says:

In my assignment I wrote about my day at work and how boring and the stress of having rude customers and not being able to tell people to go off themselves because they’re being mean.

Liked by 3 people

I know the feeling. Develop that… write down some of the rude things they say!!! It’s valuable material, trust me!

Seriously, anymore, everything I write is to find the humor in EVERYTHING. Even this… I’m write over a blog, in theory “teaching” students. We need to be in a classroom, but can’t…. I find it funny because you guys are here, devoted to your studies when everything around you has discouraging potential. RESPECT, to all of you.

Liked by 2 people

You know what I wrote earlier, my son pretending that “caveman escaped from the wild zoo… he’s the killer!” He and his sister were playing detectives. I thought, what the f/ck does that mean? It doesn’t matter. He’s sold on the idea, on the fiction, on the play of it all. Learning more than a lot just watching… the dialogue is invaluable.

12. niannavalle says:

Sometimes I Write about the things I did that made me laugh. Like just the other day my aunt said something negative that I didn’t like so I gave her already sugar filled Child another Brownie before their two hour car ride home.

React to what she said, in writing. If you haven’t already…

13. everyone loves some great humor!!

Write notes throughout the day….. not matter what the assignment is. No matter if you have an assignment or not. Do it for you!!

15. finn ransome says:

Respect to you too for having to be here with us too

16. Aiden Seifert says:

Writing for myself lately has been a bit tuff and some of the topics I end up writing about just kind of feel disingenuous so I delete the file and start over. When I do find an aspect of something I haven’t written about I take full advantage of it and try to lets me thoughts flow out into what I’m thinking about. Observations I’ve had lately include some of the behavior patterns me and my brothers have seemingly developed. Being inside for this long not to mention the smoke has had a clear impact on our way of living but specifically how I can’t put my finger on it.

17. adrianv7272 says:

I start by finding out what I’m writing for, my purpose for doing it, The better the purpose tends to be the better the writing is a lot of the time I get stuck on finding the purpose of my writing but once I do the writing develops himself.

1. adrianv7272 says:

itself*

18. Professor Mikey! do we have two assignments? one being Sedaris letter and another Sedaris Essay?? I know its probably too late to be asking but I have to ask.

THE SEDARIS ESSAY!!!!! C’mon man…. FOLLOW ME. lol

19. Dominic Costantino says:

A lot of the notes I write are about how much I hate the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I find they change as often as life changes! A living collection of documents

20. Gianina Mencarini says:

Since I’ve had nothing to do in quarantine, I’ve been watching a lot of tv and shows. So on the paper I wrote a little bit about the two shows I finished. Kind of like a critic.

Liked by 2 people

1. niannavalle says:

Whats been your favorite so far?

1. Gianina Mencarini says:

okay, I know it looks likes a kid show but I’m still kind of one but “julie and the phantoms” was such a cute show!! the songs in the show was so good too! I just wish we had more seasons than just 1 with 9 episodes 😦

21. Shantel Shaw says:

For tonights page I’m going to write about what I learned today from working to schooling!

For the page….. TITLE ALL YOUR WORK!!! Each essay, entry, note, or singular page like what you submitted is a standalone work!!

23. I generally listen to calm music while I am writing, it helps me to connect to my thoughts and be more relax. I tend to turn everything off and just let my thoughts flow

Like what? I like Thievery Corporation.

24. finn ransome says:

I think my title for tonight is going to be: finding humor in everything and the small comedians that shape my day.

25. niannavalle says:

When you say’ what’s on tonight’s page, are you asking about our notes or what we’re going to write

Liked by 2 people

Notes, and the latter if you like…

26. jakesilva753 says:

I guess I don’t write much because I tell my bestfriend everything on text or a call. He’s like my real life journal. I tell him what I’m feeling and what I think about things. It’s also nice because I get some live feedback

Liked by 2 people

Write it down then tell your friend.

27. Daniel Bagley says:

On my page for tonight i need to finish catching up on my journal but as for today I just am gonna talk about my doctors appointment.

28. niannavalle says:

On tonight’s page I wrote to make notes throughout the day on anything, notes don’t need to be just for school

Liked by 2 people

Good! Enjoy your writing.

29. finn ransome says:

thank you for the class today i think this was a good meeting to synthesize the rest of my ideas for my paper for sedaris Appreciate all the words everyone.

Stay writing…. study your own work!!!

30. Im going to play Sedaris audio book and get the essay done tonight.

Good for you!!! Have his voice in your head… I love it!!

31. Dominic Costantino says:

Tonight’s page for me will be observations from my shift at work since I was just called into work five minutes ago. #WhatsADayOff

Liked by 3 people

32. On my page I wrote about my youngest brother coming out of the closet for me and realizing how much we still have to improve when it comes to LGBT community. I felt really happy he came to talk to me because all I want is to him to feel supported and loved. And it gave me strength to keep fighting against homophobia.

Liked by 4 people

33. adrianv7272 says:

On tonight’s page I wrote down don’t think to much just do,

Liked by 2 people

34. adrianv7272 says:

Also proceed with caution

Liked by 2 people

Please email the Sedaris essay by Tuesday or before!!! Send me pics of your journal!!! Stay busy, stay starved, stay set in your scribbles…. #professormikey OUT.

OH…. Enjoy Ms. Irby!!!!!

36. Aiden Seifert says:

Tonight’s page is going to be continued with my interpretation of my philosophy homework as it is usually easier to dissect it when I write it all out.

37. Dominic Costantino says:

Good class yall have a good night!

38. Evelyn Molina says:

Have a good night ,

39. Goodnight y’all be safe see you on Tuesday!!

40. For tonight’s page: keep writing and write as much as you can. My bday is coming up so I may write a retrospective and future intentions.